Kingsgrove North High School is proud to be a partner school and participates in a range of mentoring and leadership programs that are on offer. A yearly launch is held every year at our school with representation from Microsoft and Optus to name a few companies.
Australian Business and Community Network
The Australian Business and Community Network (ABCN) is a not-for-profit organisation that connects business with disadvantaged education through mentoring and partnership programs.
Their aim is to provide students with the skills and work experience they require to make sound personal, educational and vocational choices. This is achieved through structured programs that involve corporate volunteers mentoring students in the workplace and business partnering with disadvantaged schools.
ABCN was established in 2005 by a group of senior business leaders whose vision was to inspire, challenge and engage businesses to have a greater positive impact in the community. Today we are supported by over 30 member companies and 8 business class partners and led by an experienced body of chief legal officers (CLO) who participate in our programs and support their employees to do the same.
The ABCN scholarship foundation provides annual mentoring and financial scholarships to exceptional students who are facing economic, family or social challenges.
ABCN is supported by business in the community and is a member of the corporate social responsibility (CSR) 360 global network, a network of not-for-profits working with business to make a positive impact on society.
Programs aim to improve the opportunities and outcomes for students from high-needs schools by raising aspirations and increasing their awareness of the personal, educational and vocational choices available. This is achieved through structured programs and mentoring by business professionals in a corporate environment, which also provide students with an insight into the modern workplace and access to business networks.
The Leadership and mentoring programs that our school participate in are:
- Focus and focus2 is a program that provides young women from high-needs schools with the essential leadership skills they need to engage in a successful, meaningful career. Female executive role models mentor the students in small groups to develop their skills and build their confidence, encouraging them to aspire to senior roles in business and the community. Participants may already be holding leadership positions or are about to enter into leadership positions in their schools.
- Goals is a one-on-one mentoring program designed to raise the aspirations of students in their middle year of high school. The aim is to broaden awareness of the personal, educational and vocational choices available, maintain student engagement at school and encourage the completion of Year 12 and further tertiary study. Students are matched with a corporate mentor in sessions that include setting goals, communication, managing finances and preparation for the workforce.
- Partners in learning (PiL) supports business and educational leaders by linking them together to share experiences and expertise, solve problems and explore leadership challenges. The focus is to enhance professional growth in a mutually beneficial, co-mentoring relationship. It provides both leadership support for school principals beyond the education environment and the opportunity for business leaders to make a significant contribution to a school and the broader community.
Mission Australia is a non-denominational christian charity that has been helping vulnerable Australians move towards independence for more than 155 years.
Every day they support people nationwide by combatting homelessness, assisting disadvantaged families and children, addressing mental health issues, fighting substance dependencies, and much more.
They are generously supported by funders, partners and tens of thousands of everyday Australians, who make the work of tireless volunteers and staff possible. They work with schools, families and communities to look for signs that young people are at risk of disengaging from school, developing drug or alcohol problems, or losing contact with their family. Mission Australia youth and community workers then provide support through tailored art and music, alternative education, body image education, mental health awareness and drug and alcohol programs.
Services offered include the following:
- family and child services
- mental wellbeing and disability services
- employment skills and wellbeing
- youth services
We welcome Mission Australia to Kingsgrove North High School and look forward to a long and close relationship together to support and provide guidance to our students.